After my rant today, I attended my oldest nephew’s 3 year birthday party. All our parties these days are full of kids, especially boys. Rambunctious boys crawling or scooting across my sister’s laminate flooring. Delightful dark-haired and golden-haired boys taking turns on the bike, the play train, and swinging the new bat. Bright-eyed boys grabbing handfuls of pigs-in-a-blanket or absentmindedly licking the serving spoon.
My nephews are an exceptional form of entertainment. They are exhausting and exhilarating all in the same moment.
I’m having a good flashback, the kind I need to stay focused on. Last year, when Ian was born, I stayed with Joe until Mommy and Daddy could come home. I remember how nervous and excited Joe was to have a little brother. He couldn’t even fully comprehend it. I made up a little song that I sang to him over and over again. I don’t remember the exact words … I love making up lyrics on-the-spot and then promptly forgetting them. I do remember that the song was about him being just as special now as he ever had been. I remember singing him to sleep with songs about what an amazing big brother he was going to be. “Joe the big brother hero.” =)
Tonight at the party, I stood back and took in how full life could be with children in it. Not the children I teach at school, but children of my own. I know that I don’t know the half of how hard it will be, but I know it will be extremely difficult. Those of you that know me, know how nervous I am about having children. However, I am getting closer to being ready.
Until that time, I realize I need to focus less on all the things that have been cluttering up my life: obsession with sociopathy, being overwhelmed with responsibilities, school politics, and more on the things that I love.
So here is the list of things that I feel need a return of my attention and time.
- Photography – The picture at the top of my page is one of my favorites taken, along with a sister photo below. I want to find my camera(s) and get back to the business of noticing life.
- Writing – I certainly want to blog more often, but now that I am beginning to understand the business of writer’s workshop, I want to write some picture books that include the elements good writers need. In essence … I want to write books children will enjoy that can also be marketed to teachers.
- Makeup – I have really enjoyed all the makeup tutorials that I have gone through via Youtube. I want to try different looks out on friends and then go out on the town!
- Reading – I need to find new books in different genres – shake things up a bit! Can’t wait for the summer to get away from the young adult books and into the adult.
- Cooking – New recipes, old friends … I want to get that cooking together, but invite some folks over to enjoy it. Bring it on summer!
- Scrapbooking – The girls were talking tonight about getting together to scrapbook. This is a past time I’ve always wanted be more involved in, but to me, it seems the most fun if you are with people doing it!
- Travel Planning – Mike and I are planning a trip to Colorado this summer. I want to relish the enjoyment of planning this lovely excursion. I haven’t been on a real vacation since my brother took us the Disney World 14 or so years ago.
- Discovering Music – Music drives my soul. Life is just so much better with music in it, and finding new, heart-stopping sounds changes my mood and the story of my life in an instant.
So many things to focus on. So many things to write about. If you get a chance, click on the photo below to view the full-sized photo. It just captures the essence of innocence and sparkling summer.